Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thinning

Why can't plants figure it out by themselves... why do I have to decide who stays and who goes... I never liked this part, and that's probably why my carrots tend to be small  and crooked.  I don't mind thinning lettuce, because we eat them in salads, but the ones that we don't eat are the challenge. I spent two hours doing what an seasoned gardener would have done in 15 minutes... I don't know why, but every single string bean sprouted, which should make me feel proud of my green thumb, however, ... I decided to transplant all those crowded green, red, yellow, and Roma beans all around the perimeter of the fence... You'd think that would teach me to put them in the compost bin instead. But, two days later, the transplants are doing great, and the ones in the original beds are happy to have more space to thrive. It seems like we'll have string beans to feed the whole neighborhood! Maybe I'll open a farm stand...

No comments:

Post a Comment