Monday, May 17, 2010

Done with Seeds

I finished sowing, at least for the Spring. I sowed cucumbers,  and summer squash of different shapes. I had no way to distinguish the seeds, except that some were smaller than others, so hopefully we'll get a few different ones. I also sowed romaine lettuce, and transplanted the onion seedlings and the eggplants. The eggplants looked worse than a week ago. Something (or somebody) is eating the leaves.  I need to check how they do in the next few days now that they are in their final home. Speaking of being eaten, something else is eating the leaves of the Roma beans and the string beans, not all of them, so I'm happy to pay garden tax, but I don't want it to get out of hand.

The annuals I bought at the Maplewood Garden Club plant sale are adding a wonderful splash of color to the garden. The petunias are happy in the hanging baskets, and the geraniums have such a velvety red, that it looks like the color bleeds out of the flowers.

The irises are at peak. It's a treat! And they are so fragrant... It is definitely purple week, between the clematis, the irises, some left over phlox, and the sage in bloom, it's a full display. See the pictures.

We've been enjoying salads with home grown lettuce. We have arugula, romaine, and a few more, but I forgot the names; well, one is called "small head",  which doesn't describe much, but the flavor is mild and sweet, and it is definitely my favorite. Can't wait for the tomatoes to be ready... they are only 3 inches high now, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment