Saturday, May 8, 2010

Protecting the new transplants

Last weekend I transplanted the tomato plants and two days later they announced a thunderstorm, and after the storm the Roma beans that I had seeded were all exposed and sprouting. So I covered them all back with soggy soil.  Since I remember my experience from last year when most of the plants died water-logged before having a chance to get established, I decided to cover them with a large plastic sheet that I had bought for the poly-tunnel. So that worked out well, a bit messy with the water on the plastic, and the invariable spill into my shoes.  It was nice and toasty under the plastic... and everybody seemed happy.

Just when I was thinking, it is almost mother's day and the good weather is supposed to be on our side, they announced another storm ... again I covered the tomato plants, and also the Roma beans, and the green beans too. The storm wasn't so bad, but there was plenty of water to process, when I came back of a special function for prospective students at work (yes, on a Saturday... my gardening day). Since the temperature is supposed to go down to 43F overnight, I drained the water, and I decided to leave the plastic cover on... did I mention wet toes? I should have changed my shoes before...  I know.

The Maplewood Garden Club had its annual plant sale this week, and I went yesterday to get a few annuals for a couple hanging baskets, and I couldn't resist another trip today for a self-mother's day gift.
I got a beautiful gorse bush, that reminds me of our days in Edinburgh, and the walks on Blackford Hill.
I also bought a Crape Myrtle, hopefully this one is hardy in our zone, and it won't die like the ones we got from the Arbor Day Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment