Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'm officially behind schedule

While I was writing the last post, I opened the packet of fava beans and put five seeds to soak overnight, as the instructions recommended. I did saved some in case I was over enthusiastic about planting outdoors early. The seeds looked like very old fava beans, because that's what they were. Nothing that would look inviting. Other seeds are so small that they don't even need much of a description: tiny black, small brown, ...

The next day, while we were making dinner I said, "I'd like to go out to the garden", and off I went. First to the garage to get the hand shovel and the gloves... I wish I'd remembered to wash those at the end of the season...

Opening the gate with it's welcoming chime already made me happy. The red onions had their green shoots already, and the parsley wasn't thriving after being covered by snow, but it was definitely alive. One of the beds still had some snow on it, but the one I was working on was fine. I had forgotten that I had left the trellis up from last season, so all I had to do was to get rid of the oak leaves that were covering the soil (soil, not dirt), remove old vines from last year's peas, level the soil, dig 5 small holes to put the seeds in, and cover them with loose soil. Pat, pat, pat, and I ran back to the house pleased to have started.

The same night I was supposed to start onions and leeks indoors, I had even remembered to buy nice organic potting soil, but life happened, and couldn't do it. On sunday, I was supposed to start tomatoes indoors, and I missed that too. I guess having two birthday party celebrations for the same child at an amusement center and at home didn't let me much time for it. Anyhow, I'm sure I'll catch up during the weekend, when my temporary single mother state comes to an end.

This morning, when I came back from swimming, I went to see if the fava beans had seedlings, but I didn't see anything, a bit early I guess, or maybe I planted them too deep... I always have that doubt. Sigh. My father would have dug enough to see if the had sprouted, but I didn't want to disturb them, and I didn't have my gloves, and I had to catch a train to go to work! Hurry, hurry.

While I was looking for the keys to get in the house, I saw that the hostas are coming up, I better spray those purple cones before the deer snack on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment